My dad has always been my best friend. We are seriously the same person. People always say I look like my mom but act like my dad. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or bad thing! Ha just kidding! My dad is seriously the best. I could not even dream of having a better dad. He is so loving, and will do just about anything for anyone. There is not a person in the world that doesn’t like my dad. He knows just about everyone around where I grew up and I have never heard one person say a bad thing about him! He’s truly the best and I feel so blessed to have been raised by him! I hope one day Patrick and I can use the things he has taught me to raise our own kids! I wanted to share three things my dad taught me growing up that have always stuck with me.
- Take your credit cards and cut them up and throw them away. So, my dad works at a bank so he has always taught my sister and I how to handle our money. He has instilled in us how we need to save and has always said credit cards are nothing but trouble. Credit cards can be a good thing obviously because you need credit to buy a car or house or anything big like that, BUT in all reality I see so many people get themselves into trouble with credit cards. Putting a car or bills in your name builds more credit anyways! So many people get credit cards and things they are doing so much good to try and build credit and then they rake up their bill and can’t pay it each month and it ends up hurting you more than helping you! So basically, save money and pay your stuff off when you buy it! If you can’t afford it then, save up and pay for it when you can pay it all at once!
- Find a church and do your best to go every Sunday. Growing up, my family was extremely close and we went to church every Sunday and then went to lunch as a family. Looking back, this truly was my favorite day of the week. My sister and I were SO busy with school, cheerleading and 4H during the week and most weekends so taking that one day to do something as a family was great. I’m not gonna lie, Patrick and I have been so bad about going to church since we moved to Houston because we have been SO busy non stop but I was actually just telling him the other day that now that things have calmed down, we are going to start going. It is such a good time to talk to God about what’s on your mind and let him know what’s going on in your life. Even though there were Sundays when my sister and I didn’t want to wake up and get dressed, I am so glad my dad was so firm on this.
- Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do something. My dad is a go-getter. If he wants something or wants to do something, he’s not gonna stop until he makes it happen. I have always loved this about him and tried to do the same myself. He put himself through college and became successful because he didn’t want to be anything other than that. I was lucky enough to not have to put myself through college, but that just made me realize that you really can do anything you put your mind to no matter what anyone says. There has been plenty of times throughout my life where I have seen my dad succeed and do things others told him that he couldn’t and I am so thankful to have such a strong male figure in my life to look up to. My dad wanted boys so bad, but instead he got two girls and he has always made sure we know that we are just as strong and can do anything that a male can do and to never settle.
I put together a gift guide of some of my dads favorite things below!
- Char-Broil The Big Easy Grill: This thing is AMAZING! My dad actually bought Patrick and I one for a wedding gift and I’m obsessed with it! It is so easy to use! I even grill on it sometimes.
- Bluetooth Headphones: My parents workout every morning and my dad LOVES his headphones. My sister and I actually got him a pair of bluetooth ones last father’s day and he loves them so much more than regular ones.
- Jon Hart Duffle Bag: Y’all, all Jon Hart luggage is amazing. It lasts forever and it seriously worth every penny. I love that you can personalize it and that it all matches. My dad has the set and has never used any other luggage! It’s great to travel with too!
- Jon Hart Shave Kit: My dad has had his shave kit for years and it still looks brand new! I actually got Patrick one of these for Christmas a couple years ago and it it perfect. It fits so much!
- Monogram BBQ Grill Tools: My dad loves to grill. I love that these are personalized and that there is a case to put them all in!
- Maui Jim Sunglasses: This is the only brand of sunglasses my dad wears! They have a great warranty problem so if anything happens to them you can just send them back and have them fixed or replaced. Again these are worth every penny paid.
- Personalized Bottle Opener: This is perfect to be hung on the back porch next to your grill!
- Rangefinder: My dad is a big hunter and golfer and he uses a rangefinder for both!
- Bose Bluetooth Speaker: My dad uses his speaker constantly. Whether he’s sitting by the pool, at the beach, on the boat, in the deer blind, or grilling he always has his with him!
- Lawn Chair: This would be so perfect for a day at the beach, by the pool, or at a sports game!
Thanks for stopping by and as always if you have any questions, feel free to reach out!
Shop the post: